Sunday 9 March 2008

Seeing students in the street

I have made a conscious decision to live a 30 minute drive from my school. The key reason for this is that i don't want to see students out of school. I don't want them serving me in the supermarket and I don't want to bump into them when I go for a walk. (Also the school is 45km out of the city and is pretty much the country - which scares me).

So this morning, Sunday, I walked up the road for coffee and the paper and directly at the end of my street I saw one of my students!

Now we have 1600 students so the chance of finding one who is in my home group, 35km out of her habitat has to be pretty low. Which of the following things do you think I should have done?

a. Cross the street and say hi to her and her family.
b. Wave casually and keep walking.
c. Duck my head and walk quickly in the opposite direction.

I chose C. It was a gut reaction that I didn't even think about. I did not want to break the sanctity of my private space.

I hope she didn't see me.

1 comment:

cupcake said...

Oh, sister, yes. Go with "C." There really is no other option at all, because A and B require acknowledging the little darling on a SUNDAY in PUBLIC, and that just goes against all that is pure and good in this world.

Thanks for visiting my blog. You're right - we have a lot in common.