Saturday 9 February 2008

The beginning...

Starting a blog is really hard. I guess I'll begin with why I'm starting. I'm a teacher and being a teacher is certainly an interesting job. It can be inspiring and exhausting, exciting and emotionally draining. So I wanted to write about some of my experiences. From being in the classroom to being in the staffroom (can you guess which one causes more stress and frustration?)

I'm a teacher from Australia teaching English in a suburban state school. The school certainly has similarities to the TV show Summer Heights High, where the students come from diverse backgrounds, have diverse abilities and diverse goals in life.

I like the kids I teach. They do funny things and make me laugh. Sometimes they're feral. Mostly, they mean well. I've been here a few years now, so the students are used to me and tend to go along with what I ask. They have an automatic resistance to new teachers. But I guess we all tend to resist the unknown.

I like the staff i work with... well most of them. Some are my closest friends and I think I'll stay friends with them for a long time. Others are, well, interesting. I guess I'll let you know about them as they pop up in my day to day adventures.

So, if you stumble upon this blog for a read, I hope you enjoy it and feel free to post a comment.

No comments: